Newborn Photography Dumfries
Deciding to have your new baby photographed is an amazing way of recording their first few days of life, capturing them when they are still tiny and squishy but it can be quite a daunting process!
It is important to do some research and ask questions before booking to ensure you find the right photographer for you and your family. Also take into consideration that many photographers, like me, only offer one session per day and need to allow flexibility in the diary for early or late babies as such it is best to book well in advance, I would recommend as soon after your 20 week scan as possible to avoid being disappointed if the photographer you choose is fully booked.
Based on my experience as a specialist newborn photographer I thought I would share some of the information I would consider while making the decision of which newborn photographer to choose..
- Research the market – It would be quite easy for parents to be to believe that all newborn photographers are equal. Unfortunately they are not! The newborn industry in the UK is at present unregulated which means there are no specific qualifications required before becoming a newborn photographer so in theory a novice with little or no experience of dealing with babies could set up in business and offer their services. Newborn photography is a very specialist area and a professional newborn photographer will have undertaken training specific to this age group to ensure baby is safe at all times. During your research consider the following:
- Personal recommendations from someone you trust
- Review of photographers website and social media presence
- Direct contact, preferably by phone.
2. Beware of cut price photographers – please don’t make your decision based purely on cost, a professional photographer will have invested heavily in training and insurance. I am a firm believer in you the old adage ‘you get what you pay for..’ If someone is good at their job, and in demand, their prices will reflect that.
3. Ask Questions – Don’t be afraid to ask any questions you may have particularly in relation to what professional newborn training they have undertaken, what professional qualifications they hold and what experience they have in this area. Although at the moment there is no qualification specifically for newborn photography there are a number of photography organisations which review a photographers quality of work to ensure they are meeting certain standards. Some of the main photography organisations within the UK are Master Photographers Association, Society of Wedding and Portrait Photographers, National Photographic Society all of whom offer three levels of qualification – Licentiate, Associate and Fellow. The best newborn photographers, in addition to being a member of one of the previously mentioned organisation may also hold a membership to the Baby and Newborn Photography Association.
4. Availability, Location and fees – Popular newborn photographers get booked up well in advance, as I said previously, to avoid the disappointment of your chosen photographer being fully booked I recommend booking early, as soon after your 20 week scan as possible. Think about where the photographer is based in relation to you, think about how long it will take to get to them and add that in the length of their session bearing in mind that you’ll have a new baby along for the ride! Finally consider the photographers studio fees and the cost of their photo products. Prices can vary greatly between photographers and areas. Many photographers charge a session or creation fee to cover their time with products being in addition to this, you should expect to pay a couple of hundred pounds as a minimum if you want to have images to take home and display on your walls. Ask to see a product guide and have an idea what you would like to do with the images, this will make setting a budget easier.
If you take all these factors into consideration when booking your newborn photographer you should receive the quality experience you desire and have beautiful images of your new baby which you and your family will treasure.
If you would like more information from me about a newborn photography session please call 07540 349455 or email email@example.com for a chat.